Monday, December 21, 2009

Days 13-19: Everyman sleep schedule

Well it's been about a week since my last post but my mornings are finally free due to the Christmas holidays. Since it's been a week I'll make an out of format review of the last 6 days.

Summary

Essentially it seems to have been a great success. I go to sleep straight away, get up (still with alarms though) easily enough and most importantly feel wide awake for the whole day.

Imperfections

Of course it hasn't been perfect over the last week. It was necessary for me to sleep in 3 and 4 days ago which fairly screwed up my system, making it quite hard to get back into the routine. I can say though that if you do sleep in after you've adapted to the schedule, even miss the schedule for 2 days, you can still relatively quickly go back onto it, aslong as you make sure you wake up and get up at the exact times needed. Yes this is what you've been doing the whole time, but it get so much more difficult after you sleep in. Luckily for me and hopefully for you, the horrible gritty feeling you get when you sleep is a big enough repellent to make you want to go back on the schedule asap. This feeling is the strangest thing of all. If I deprive myself of sleep, even off the schedule, if I simply don't sleep, it feels alot better than when I do. It's a difficult feeling to explain, but I can honestly say it feels like I'm addicted to the lack of sleep. I find it strange, but luckily it doesn't matter when I'm on the schedule as I'm getting a better sleep than ever.
One last little heads up too by the way is that for me atleast, when doing the schedule you adapt to your naps very quickly (ie. you adapt to going to REM phase after about a week) but only now am I starting to get out of bed easier. Some tips would be to get up the second you wake up, as usually tiredness wears off in about 20 minutes.

Don't give up

Just thought I'd make this to offer you a little reassurance. You will most likely sleep in a some point. I ended up sleeping in alot. In my 19 days I probably slept in for atleast an hour more than I should have on 8 occasions. But aslong as you keep going with the schedule and try your best, you will eventually get there.

That's all for now, I'll be making a tips and tricks post tomorrow morning which should offer some helpful advice, so keep reading!

1 comment: